Term 2 Dates: 25 May – 29 June , no class 1 June (6 weeks)
(Registration opens 12 noon Monday 18 May and closes 12 noon Friday 29 May)
In this beginners program you will be introduced to the 12 movements of the Tai Chi for Arthritis program which have been specifically designed to be safe and beneficial for people with arthritis.
The Tai Chi for Arthritis program was created in 1997 by Dr Paul Lam and a team of tai chi and medical experts. The program is designed to improve muscular strength to support and protect the joints, as well as flexibility and mobility to reduce pain and stiffness. The focus on weight transference improves balance which reduces falls, and the movements increase fitness which promotes the proper functioning of the heart and lungs. The program also helps to relieve pain, reduce stress and increase relaxation.
The classes are led by Teresa Stokes, a Senior Trainer and Certified Instructor with Dr Paul Lam’s Tai Chi for Health Institute. Teresa is an experienced instructor who is skilled at modifying movements to suit individuals. Chairs are available for support, and the program can be performed seated if preferred.
Please wear loose comfortable clothing and flat soled shoes, and bring a water bottle.
No previous experience in Tai Chi is expected or required.
What You Will Need:
For Online Classes:
- A computer device with a front-facing camera/microphone (laptop, iPad or smartphone).
- Ensure your device is fully charged or plugged into power source.
- Reliable internet connection.
- Sufficient space to safely exercise at home.
- Sturdy chair
- Exercise clothing
- Water bottle
PLEASE NOTE: To successfully complete registration, you must either:
- answer ‘No’ to all 6 questions (numbered 1 – 6) OR
- you MUST gain clearance from your GP/medical specialist PRIOR to participation in exercise if you have answered ‘Yes’ to one or more of the questions numbered 1 – 6.