Term 2, 2023: 7 May – 2 July (8 weeks)
No Class 14/5 (Mother’s Day) due to instructor unavailability. Extra class extended to 2 July.
The Tai Chi for Arthritis program was created in 1997 by Dr Paul Lam and a team of tai chi and medical experts. The program is designed for those with moderate experience in Tai Chi and aims to improve muscular strength to support and protect the joints, as well as flexibility and mobility to reduce pain and stiffness. The focus on weight transference improves balance which reduces falls, and the movements increase fitness which promotes the proper functioning of the heart and lungs. The program also helps to relieve pain, reduce stress and increase relaxation.
The classes are led by Teresa Stokes, a Senior Trainer and Certified Instructor with Dr Paul Lam’s Tai Chi for Health Institute. Teresa is an experienced instructor who is skilled at modifying movements to suit individuals. Chairs are available for support, and the program can be performed seated if preferred.
Please wear loose comfortable clothing and flat soled shoes, and bring a water bottle.
Venue: Seminar Room, Wyllie Arthritis Centre, 17 Lemnos Street, Shenton Park.
Cost: Please see ticket details below to view term class fees.
Class Times: You may only attend the day and time allocated for this class (once per week)
- If you are interested in joining after the registration closing date, please contact our staff to assist with your request.
- You may only attend the day and time allocated for this class.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to attend more than one class per week, you will need to register for additional classes throughout the week.
To successfully complete registration, you must either:
- Answer ‘No’ to all 6 questions (numbered 1 – 6) OR
- Gain clearance from your GP/medical specialist PRIOR to participation in exercise if you have answered ‘Yes’ to one or more of the questions numbered 1 – 6
AOWA has put in place the following COVID-19 safety measures, where all service users and staff are required to:
- Maintain physical distancing at all times keeping 1.5 metres from others.
- Sanitise hands on entry and practice good hygiene.
- Arrive up to 5 minutes before the class starts and wait outside in the reception foyer (physically distanced) until staff give clearance to enter the exercise area.
- Sign in on entry to exercise area and answer required COVID-19 declaration questions, before the class commences.
- Exit the exercise area promptly (within 5 minutes of the class ending) so staff can perform cleaning between classes.
- Stay away from AOWA premises if you are feeling unwell (See this link for further information on Covid-19 symptoms)