Yoga for Arthritis Beginners – Wednesday 10:15am Shenton Park
July 27 @ 10:15 am - 11:45 am$120.00
Term 3, 2022: 25 July – 18 September (8 weeks)
**Please note: This class is not suitable for participants with Fibromyalgia. These groups are encouraged to enrol in our Gentle Yoga classes as an alternative.
This 8-week Yoga for Arthritis program is led by Jane Leslie, physiotherapist, and was developed at the John Hopkins University Arthritis Centre in Baltimore.
The program taught by Jane Leslie is based on a protocol developed by an interdisciplinary research team at John Hopkins University Arthritis Centre, Baltimore. Jane trained with the Yoga for Arthritis team in Baltimore in 2014 and also brings to these classes a background in physiotherapy and experience teaching yoga and pilates to members of Arthritis & Osteoporosis WA.
The Yoga for Arthritis Program offers modifications to address the unique abilities and challenges of people with arthritis.
- Participants must be able to get up and down off the floor a few times throughout the class and be able to hear instructions to perform moves safely.
- Classes will be 90 minutes, once per week for 8 weeks.
- Each class includes discussion; breath awareness; seated stretches and a warm-up flow of postures; asana practice (static postures); deep relaxation; and meditation.
- Each class builds on material learnt in the previous class to guide you in understanding the fundamentals of poses; modifying for your own needs; and developing a personal practice. This also builds knowledge and confidence towards attending ongoing classes as you move on from the course.
- Time will be allocated in class to developing and guiding a home practice. A weekly session of home practice is encouraged while participating in this 8-week series.
Instructions for the class:
- Wear comfortable clothing which will not restrict your movement
- Bring something warm to wear at the end of the class
- Large meals should be at least 3 hours before you practice
- Please bring a yoga mat and towel
- If you have a yoga blanket, please bring this along as well
Venue: Seminar Room, Wyllie Arthritis Centre, 17 Lemnos Street, Shenton Park.
Cost: Please see ticket details below to view term class fees.
Class Times: You may only attend the day and time allocated for this class (once per week)
- If you are interested in joining after the registration closing date, please contact our staff to assist with your request.
- You may only attend the day and time allocated for this class.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to attend more than one class per week, you will need to register for additional classes throughout the week.
To successfully complete registration, you must either:
- Answer ‘No’ to all 6 questions (numbered 1 – 6) OR
- Gain clearance from your GP/medical specialist PRIOR to participation in exercise if you have answered ‘Yes’ to one or more of the questions numbered 1 – 6
AOWA has put in place the following COVID-19 safety measures, where all service users and staff are required to:
- Maintain physical distancing at all times keeping 1.5 metres from others.
- Sanitise hands on entry and practice good hygiene.
- Arrive up to 5 minutes before the class starts and wait outside in the pool foyer (physically distanced) until staff give clearance to enter the exercise area.
- Sign in on entry to exercise area and answer required COVID-19 declaration questions, before the class commences.
- Exit the exercise area promptly (within 5 minutes of the class ending) so staff can perform cleaning between classes.
- Stay away from AOWA premises if you are feeling unwell (See this link for further information on Covid-19 symptoms)